Thank you for considering Echo for your post-grad service and study. Prior to beginning the Echo application, applicants are strongly encouraged to read the Echo 14 Application Prospectus (a.k.a. the “how to apply” document) and consult the Echo 14 Grad School Instructions.
Echo 14 Application Deadline: January 10, 2017
(“Early deadline” to apply with the application fee waiver: December 1, 2016)
The Echo Supplemental Application constitutes the majority of the application process for Echo. Directions for completing this portion and submitting it to the Graduate School are at the beginning of the document. Please consult the PDF version first and use the Word document to fill in your personal responses to upload to your application to the Notre Dame Graduate School.
The application process for both tracks of Echo (Parish Catechetical Leadership and Teaching Theology) is shared. Applicants have the option to apply to either or both track(s), and can indicate their preference (and reasoning behind their preference) at the beginning of the Echo Supplemental Application.
Echo Application Checklist:
Please consult this list to assure that you submit a complete application by the January 10th deadline.
- Ensure that you will have completed the necessary 6.0 credit theology or religious studies prerequisites by June 2017. Applicants seeking options to fulfill this prerequisite are invited to consider registering for online 1.0 credit courses through STEP at Notre Dame: Prerequisite STEP course info. (Contact Katie Diltz if you plan to pursue STEP course for credit.)
- Complete the online Notre Dame Application to the Graduate School, which includes submitting the Echo Supplemental Application above (25 questions), Unofficial Transcripts, GRE Scores, Statement of Intent, Resume/C.V., Recommendation Letters, and the $75 Application Fee (paid by cash, check, or fee waiver code–see below). As you complete the online application, you should be able to leave the application and return to work on it later, provided that you log in with the same username and pin number. Please see the separate Echo-Grad School Instructions 2017 document for detailed directions. The Graduate School provides helpful responses to FAQs on the Graduate School Admissions Website.
- Request three (3) professor recommendations. Invite three (3) professors, who can speak to your suitability for graduate study in theology, to write a letter for you. These must be professors who have had you in class (in which you received a letter grade), but need not be professors of theology or religious studies. Send them the Echo Professor Rec Instructions 2017 document that will explain the recommendation letter process. Once you enter a recommenders’ names and email addresses into your application, they will be prompted to submit a letter of recommendation immediately. Letters, therefore, will be submitted by the recommenders electronically through the Graduate School “Apply Yourself” Application (no paper letter necessary).
- Request one (1) personal recommendation. Invite someone to write a letter for you, who can speak directly to your capacities for leadership, ministry, spiritual enrichment, and communal living. (Ideal recommenders include previous employers, community service leaders/supervisors, dorm rectors/hall directors, and campus ministry leaders; recommenders should not include family members or peers.) Send them the Echo Personal Rec Instructions 2017 document that will explain the recommendation letter process. Once you enter a recommenders’ names and email addresses into your application, they will be prompted to submit a letter of recommendation immediately. Letters, therefore, will be submitted by the recommender electronically through the Graduate School “Apply Yourself” Application (no paper letter necessary).
Applicants from Notre Dame, St. Mary’s College, and Holy Cross College (Notre Dame, IN) only:
- If you do not select your dorm rector to write your personal recommendation, please request that your Rector submit the Rector Recommendation Letter. After sending your Rector the Echo Rector Letter – ND, SMC, HCC 2017 document and entering his/her contact information into the 5th “recommender” field of your Graduate School Application, he/she will be prompted to write your letter and submit it electronically through the Graduate School “Apply Yourself” Application (no paper letter necessary).
- Make plans to take the GRE: GRE scores can be submitted along with the Graduate School/Echo Application, and must be submitted by the January 10th deadline. Scores should be sent electronically, directly to the University of Notre Dame Graduate School at the time the test is taken. (Please note: There is a 10-14 day delay between when you take the GRE and when Notre Dame receives your scores. If you take the GRE after Dec 31, please also email your scores to firstname.lastname@example.org.) The Graduate School answers frequently asked questions about the GRE on its website.
- If you are invited to interview for Echo, you will be asked to submit a personal photograph to echoND@nd.edu. Until then, no photograph should be submitted for the January 10th deadline.
The application fee for an application made to the Notre Dame Graduate School is $75. However, all Echo applicants who apply by December 1 are eligible for to have their application fee waived. Please email email@example.com by November 26 to receive the fee waiver code. Should anyone wish to apply early, please know that the applicant’s portion of the application would need to be complete by December 1st. (Recommendation letters may arrive after this date.)