The application process for Echo (parish catechetical ministry) and Echo Teaching Theology are shared. Applicants have the option to apply to either or both track(s), and can indicate this in the beginning of the Echo Supplemental Application. Application materials for Echo 12 (2015-2017) are now updated and listed below.
Echo 12 Application Deadline: January 10, 2015
(Deadline to receive application fee waiver: December 1, 2014)
Thank you for considering Echo for your post-grad service and study. Prior to beginning the Echo application, applicants are strongly encouraged to read the Echo 12 Application Prospectus (a.k.a. the “how to apply” document) and consult the Echo 12 Grad School Instructions. Please direct all questions to Aimee Shelide Mayer, Coordinator for Recruitment and Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 574.631.2877.
The Echo Supplemental Application constitutes the majority of the application process for Echo. Directions for completing this portion and submitting it to the Graduate School are at the beginning of the document. Please consult the PDF version first and use the Word document to fill in your personal responses to upload to your application to the Notre Dame Graduate School.
Echo Application Checklist:
Please consult this list to assure that you submit a complete application by the January 10th deadline.
- Ensure that you will have completed the necessary 6.0 credit theology or religious studies prerequisites by June 2015. Applicants seeking options to fulfill this prerequisite are invited to consider registering for online 1.0 credit courses through STEP at Notre Dame: Prerequisite STEP course info. (Contact Aimee if you plan to pursue STEP course for credit.)
- Complete the online Notre Dame Application to the Graduate School, which includes submitting the Echo Supplemental Application above (25 questions), Unofficial Transcripts, GRE Scores, Statement of Intent, Resume/C.V., Recommendation Letters, and the $75 Application Fee (paid by cash, check, or fee waiver code–see below). As you complete the online application, you should be able to leave the application and return to work on it later, provided that you log in with the same username and pin number. Please see the separate Echo-Grad School Instructions 2015 document for detailed directions. The Graduate School provides helpful responses to FAQs on the Graduate School Admissions Website.
- Request three (3) professor recommendations. Invite three (3) professors, who can speak to your suitability for graduate study in theology, to write a letter for you. These must be professors who have had you in class (in which you received a letter grade), but need not be professors of theology or religious studies. Send them the Echo Professor Rec Instructions 2015 document that will explain the recommendation letter process. Once you enter a recommenders’ names and email addresses into your application, they will be prompted to submit a letter of recommendation immediately. Letters, therefore, will be submitted by the recommenders electronically through the Graduate School “Apply Yourself” Application (no paper letter necessary).
- Request one (1) personal recommendation. Invite someone to write a letter for you, who can speak directly to your capacities for leadership, ministry, spiritual enrichment, and communal living. (Ideal recommenders include previous employers, community service leaders/supervisors, dorm rectors/hall directors, and campus ministry leaders; recommenders should not include family members or peers.) Send them the Echo Personal Rec Instructions 2015 document that will explain the recommendation letter process. Once you enter a recommenders’ names and email addresses into your application, they will be prompted to submit a letter of recommendation immediately. Letters, therefore, will be submitted by the recommender electronically through the Graduate School “Apply Yourself” Application (no paper letter necessary).
Applicants from Notre Dame, St. Mary’s College, and Holy Cross College (Notre Dame, IN) only:
- If you do not select your dorm rector to write your personal recommendation, please request that your Rector submit the Rector Recommendation Letter. After sending your Rector the Echo Rector Letter – ND, SMC, HCC 2015 document and entering his/her contact information into the 5th “recommender” field of your Graduate School Application, he/she will be prompted to write your letter and submit it electronically through the Graduate School “Apply Yourself” Application (no paper letter necessary).
- Make plans to take the GRE: GRE scores should be submitted along with the Graduate School/Echo Application, or submitted very soon after the January 10th deadline. Scores should be sent directly to the University of Notre Dame Graduate School no later than February 1st. (Please note: There is a 10-14 day delay between when you take the GRE and when Notre Dame receives your scores. If you take the GRE after January 15, please also email your scores to email@example.com.) The Graduate School answers frequently asked questions about the GRE on its website.
- If you are invited to interview for Echo, you will be asked to submit a personal photograph to echoND@nd.edu. Until then, no photograph should be submitted for the January 10th deadline.
The application fee for an application made to the Notre Dame Graduate School is $75. However, all Echo applicants who apply by December 1 are eligible for to have their application fee waived. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org by November 26 to receive the fee waiver code. Should anyone wish to apply early, please know that the applicant’s portion of the application would need to be complete by December 1st. (Recommendation letters may arrive after this date.)